Parallax 7345 Repair Tips
A friend had a Parrallax 7345 power converter for a RV that didn't work. We know what happened, It's designed for 120VAC only and somehow got hooked up to 240VAC. So it released some of it's magic smoke. (and probably made a big BANG noise I imagine)
- The big heatsinks may have 300VDC+- on them, Be careful! (obviously if it's on the heatsinks, it could be anywhere, like those 2 big caps) It doesn't just go away if it's not plugged it either.
- 45A@13.8VDC (7300 series 45A)
- 120VAC input
- Despite the fancy "converter" name it's just a big Switch Mode Power Supply (SMPS)
- Schematics are not available (Parrallax has on their page "We do not give schematics to anyone perod", or something to that effect), as with most things in the RV universe, they are expensive to replace and don't expect any help repairing them.
It was pretty easy to locate the fault, as there was black stuff all over one spot. (Note: I'd already removed the heatsink from the bridge rectifier in the first picture and cleaned to bottom a bit when I took the second picture)
The other black spot on the circuit board (far left) is under the output resistors, they work fine, but must run a bit hot under prolonged load.
I bridged the broken wire on the filter, sheilded my face and plugged it in. It powered up nicely, made a moderately loud buzzing noise (no load), so I unplugged it and connected it to a 12V battery. Absolutely quiet now, but putting an amp or so into my battery. The battery is connected to an inverter I use for emergency power, so I plugged a toaster in and it jumped right to 45A. I ran a couple toaster cycles then let it fully charge my battery and all seems well.
I couldn't find an exact replacement for the filter, so I had to make a few mods to the board for the one I found. I had to guess on the MOV, I used a 175V MOV (datasheet said 150VAC max) I still have no idea what size would have been right, I even spent a couple hours trying to find how to choose the voltage and still didn't come up with an answer.
But a new MOV and line filter later it's back in service. The good news it the MOV did it's job, protecting all the electronics after it, it should have had a fuse in the AC line and the MOV and line filter may have survived. There was some minor damage to the traces around the line filter and MOV, but nothing too bad. The owner was instructed "Don't hook it to 240 again!", but I think he already knew that.
The other side of the board, nothing wrong here, just in case you want to see it:
I picked up a broken 55A version of this unit. As far as I can tell it's exactly the same board. I'm going to do a post and probably a video of diagnosing and repairing it, but that may be a while.
I was going to post the correct value of the MOV, but it doesn't have one. The MOV footprint is not populated. I have the numbers off the filter, but google hasn't helped my find anything about it, so it may be a wild goose chase. In case it helps someone: